Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Isn't it Ironic?
When I was in high school I had waist-length, long, brunette hair. I played on the girls' soccer team and during practice we would sometimes have these groupies just hang around and watch us. Well, they were really just a bunch of guys with nothing better to do than hang around and flirt with the girls on the team. They had nicknames for all of us and mine was Alanis Morisette. I don't really think anything but my hair looked much like her, but they all said that is who I looked like. So, isn't it Ironic that I am thinking of that song today? Well, maybe not so Ironic....

Today is one of Those days. You know the ones...if you are a mother you know TOO well what I mean. The day when you have a ton of house work to do. So, you get to it early in the morning...folding clothes, washing some more, cleaning up the bathroom, you know, the whole works. And what could go wrong? Well, glad you asked. Where to start? The almost 5 year old keeps pushing the 2 year old cause she keeps taking the train tracks that he is playing with causing the 2 year old to scream and run away with a confiscated track to shelter under my arms that happen to be rocking the 6 week old back to sleep for the millionth time. And that is just the beginning. All day has been a day for playing referee and I just don't have the patience for it today. Lunch wasn't what we wanted to eat of course and nap time wasn't wanted either. At 4:30 (after only 2.5 hours of crying and begging...me of course) Aidan and Alora are finally asleep.

Aralyn is now waking up, and it seems like nothing has gotten done. I still have tons of things to do to get the house ready for an early morning visit from our midwife for my 6 week check-up. If I wasn't thinking of going out of town to visit my parents next week I would seriously consider re-scheduling the whole thing.

Adam rushed out to get Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at Wal-mart on Saturday morning. I had meant to order it, but glad in lots of ways that I didn't. We didn't have to wait for it to be delivered, and it was less than $16. So, we have been taking turns reading it and since I have more "free" time I finished it first. I loved it and am looking forward to Adam being done, so we can discuss it a bit. So, what to read now?

Dare to Discipline is on the shelf, and I have never read it, so I get it down to read. Today is my first day reading it...the day of every mother's nightmares. Wow! Do I need this book or what? Ironic that the worst day I have had with the kids in quite a while happens to be the same day that I start this book? Maybe I can get it read in just 3 days like the Potter book.

I am really looking forward to reading it, as we have a few struggles with Alora that we haven't been able to "fix" with anything that we have tried and been successful with before. It is frustrating as a parent. I know that we have a 6 week old baby in the house, and potty training has been going on for a while and there are just lots of changes for her, but we need to curb the behavior and find out what works for us and for her to do that. Maybe this book is God's answer to that; I can only hope and pray that if it isn't that something else will come along and it will be.

May God give Adam and I the knowledge and the strength and probably most of all the consistency to find what works, not just for Alora right now, but for all of our children, for today and everyday that we have with them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer