Tuesday, July 25, 2006
The good news, or the worse, which do you want first?
Well, I had my appointment with the surgeon today. We were thinking that he would either say, "Oh, that looks great, the rest of the mobility will come back in time and you can consider this your last visit to me! Congratulations!". That would have been the good news, since the only thing that would have made it any better would have been for him to tell me that the visit was free! Hahahaha

The bad news would have gone something like this, "Well, it looks like you don't have as much mobility as I would have hoped, so I think you should be referred to an occupational therapist to get back as much of it as possible. Here is your appointment card."

Well, the good news was that he didn't refer me to an occupational therapist.

But, he didn't give me bad news, he gave me worse news.

He asked me to show him how much I could bend my finger. It isn't much, but I think that it would be more when the last of my scabs fall off and the skin loosens up. he seemed slightly concerned with the fact that there wasn't much movement. That is until he saw that I can't straighten my finger either. It is just stuck in an arch that will not straighten. He even tried to see if he could straighten it some, to no avail. This apparently is not normal, and he seemed worried about it.

He gave me the-hands are important, especially index fingers, you will live a long time and you want your hands to be fully functional that whole time, if you live for just 40 more years then that is a long time to not have fully functional hands, better to do it now than to wait and it get worse or something like that-speech. He isn't a hand surgeon, I was just referred to him for the "skin" part of my injury and he doesn't really deal with tendons or bones or anything like that.

So, he refers me to the next town over to a hand surgeon there. However, they can't see me for about a month. And, since I have no insurance, I will need $200 in cash or credit for the initial consult, plus any surgery or other steps that he might want me to take.

Here go some prayers to God to help the situation. I am hoping that by the time the appointment comes around, we either have some form of payment, insurance, or that my finger just gets mobility back on its own.

As a side note, the kids were very good at his office since they had to go with me today...an hour in a boring office with 3 kids by myself. They weren't perfect, but they were much better than I expected!


2 Comments:

Blogger Jacinda said...

Oh Alissa! I'm sorry!

Blogger Rachel said...

Sending lots of prayers that things will turn out right. God works in mysterious ways...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer