Friday, April 14, 2006
No kiwi for me, thanks!
Well, everyday you learn something new!

Yesterday we all went to playgroup and had a great time. When we left we headed to Augusta to pick up Alora’s picture originals and drop off my order for Aralyn’s and the Easter pictures that we had done a few weeks ago. We were there quite a while and then headed back to Aiken (the town we go to playgroup in) so that I could run by the Gap Outlet there and use my 20% off coupon. I got some GREAT deals on clothing for Aidan and Alora for the summer. Most everything was already 20%, 30%, or 40% off already, so my 20% was just icing!

Afterward, we ran down to the food court to get a drink and a small snack. We settled on some bacon, cheddar, ranch fries, an unsweet tea and a kiwi lemonade. The place we were at has some great natural lemonade (regular and raspberry were the other choices yesterday.) The kids and I shared the fries, which were so yummy! And Aidan and I drank most of the tea while the girls shared the lemonade. Aralyn really didn’t drink more than an ounce or 2 and did spill some down on the front of her outfit. I didn’t worry about it and just figured, I could change her outfit when we got to the car.

No more than 20 minutes later, we were back at the car and while loading Aralyn into her seat, I noticed that she was red on her little chest. I took her outfit off and her whole tummy was red and rashy. I was shocked! I thought and thought about what she had had all day and the only thing that I can think of that she had never had before was kiwi. I called the place that we had eaten at to make sure of the ingredients in the lemonade (to make sure it wasn’t from an artificial sweetener or possibly the type of oil that they fry with.) I guess Aralyn is allergic to kiwi!

I got her home and gave her an oatmeal bath and then let her little tummy air some. She slept well last night and woke up with it slightly less red, and more pink. I know it itches because any time I change her clothing or pull up her shirt she will scratch her little tummy and chest. I know it must hurt, but there isn’t really anything over the counter that I could give her considering her age. She is much better today and for that I am thankful.

I think in a week or so I will buy a kiwi and see if it was a topical allergen or from the ingestion. I also want to make sure it was the kiwi and not something else so that I will know for the future.

(This picture is from this morning. I didn't think to take one yesterday, too busy trying to figure out what it was and make her feel better.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer