Saturday, July 23, 2005
I Can Row the Boat Ashore!



Seeing as how Aidan is really very proud of himself most of the time, the fact that he has Michael Row the Boat Ashore turned into a song about himself isn't all that surprising. He is constantly telling us that he is a really strong/fast/smart boy. Or telling us that he is Super Aidan (akin to Spiderman or Superman) and whatever I ask him to do can be done, because of this title. It is wonderful to see his belief in himself.

Adam and I don't like to hear him say "I can't" and we try to have him re-word/re-think what he said to a more "true" statement if we hear him say it. Just last night we had a thunderstorm roll through here. (Actually it seems to be a nightly thing what with all these hurricanes sending their rains up here.) Aidan doesn't like thunder and lightening. He thinks the sound of thunder is scary, he thinks the light is scary, he just thinks the whole thing is scary. When he is scared he can work himself into quite a little ball of nerves and become incapable of processing his thoughts properly. His room is right near the front living room. With the light from the front living room on you can easily navigate his bedroom without turning on the light...and you can definitely see well enough to go into the room and turn on the light. After getting home from the last night of VBS last night we told him to go put his shoes in his closet and put on his pjs. Because of the storm he started telling us he was scared and he couldn't go to his room. We couldn't get past his fear of the storm to explain to him that there was nothing to fear while we were in the house together, and just to turn his light on and his room wouldn't be scary any more. He went into panic mode. He couldn't get beyond the fear to a place where he could listen to us.

I know sometimes I am in panic mode. Sometimes the fear that I am doing it all wrong is just so overwhelming. I know that there are great consequences to not choosing God. Hell is one scary place. My light switch is realizing that while the way is narrow and straight, God is merciful and full of grace and compassion for His children. He wants us to join Him in heaven. I know that Aidan's light will come on and his room won't be scary any more, that we are right behind him and that we will prevent anything bad from happening to him. God does the same for us. He is the light and with Jesus as our example and the Spirit to guide us we have no reason to be afraid. May I always remember that, not live in panic mode, and always hear the voice of God telling me that there is nothing to fear. I am Super Alissa with God on my side.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer