Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Home again Home again
Home (at my Mom and Dad's) for Thanksgiving. My sister, Heather is home from Texas, and my other sister, Ashley is home from UNC. It is weird for us to all be together again. I think it has been about 1 1/2 since we have all been home. We all mostly get along pretty well, at least now that we are all mostly adults, we do.

I think for me having my siblings 6, 6, 8and 10 years younger than me, makes it hard to see them as adults. I sometimes want to see my parents telling them what they can and can't do to rein them in a bit. For them to all be old enough to drive and make their own decisions...2 of them are living in homes of their own and one is off at college, living in a dorm...it is just a little different.

I pray that they all use their best judgment and get away from the thought that they are invincible and that nothing can mess up their lives and that decisions aren't that important. It seems like for the most part they are smart and respectful of themselves and others, but then there are times when I just don't see how they are going to make it without terrible consequences to live with. It will mean lots of praying on my part and hopefully they will do what they know is right.

Wednesday night my parents' septic system backed up in the basement. Heather, Mom and I spent hours sucking water up with the wet/dry vac and the carpet cleaner. The wet vac was emptied about 4 times. It was tons of water and it was so smelly and gross. Thankfully my Dad was able to get in touch with a plumber who came out on Thanksgiving morning and snaked the pipes to help clear it. That helped and we were finally able to use water sparingly, but then we found out that the septic tank was full and needed pumping. It was pretty stressful all around. Found out some useful information on septic tanks and what to flush/not flush and what are the most likely things to clog up systems. And I also had so much fun sucking up septic water that I will never need to do it again.

Dinner was great. My mom always does a great job and it was fun to spend the morning with her and help out with the cooking. I will be so sad when the time comes for me to host the Thanksgiving dinner, as I have no idea how to make half the things that she makes or how to time all the cooking and heating and baking so that everything is ready at the same time.

We went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It was pretty good, although I was sad to see how much had to be condensed and left out to accommodate the time slot. It was a good movie though and leaves me waiting for the next movie and looking forward to the next book too!

We even got to see some snow while we were up there. It wasn't much, but the night we drove in there were some flurries and a few cars that had sat in one place all day had a bit of snow on them. Living here in South Carolina, it may be the only snow I see all year. Occasionally we have a few flakes fall, but usually our winter precipitation is rain or sleet.

Thanks be to God for another Thanksgiving. Thanks be to Him for all the things that have happened this year. For Aralyn, who is just the joy of our household, Alora, who brings us smiles and happiness, and Aidan who is just becoming such a wonderful little boy. Thanks for my husband who means so much to me and makes my life what it is. I know that he loves us and watches over us and works for us to have the life that we share. He is a wonderful provider and father and lover and protector. Thanks for our families and friends and especially for the love that God shows to us everyday. We are truly blessed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer