Thursday, January 12, 2006
Current reading
I have been reading a lot so far this year. I started Sophie's Choice, but can't seem to get into it really well, so I put it aside.

Someone had loaned us a copy of The New Dare to Discipline. I had never read it, or the old one for that matter. I think all parents need a little boost of energy and assurance from time to time, so I thought I would read it. It was a bit disappointing. I don't know if I was just expecting more of a "how-to" or what, but I was just expecting more substance. Of course a lot of the parts that were directed at parents of older children (older than 5), didn't apply, so it wasn't useful to me yet. I did think that it was a great book for someone who is struggling with how they should discipline and when. Or, someone who doesn't think that discipline is good...I don't quite understand that view point, but I know from the way some kids act, that there have to be plenty of parents who don't discipline.

Adam received Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller for Christmas from my mom. I had told her that he had been looking for it and so it was part of his present. I didn't want to start it until he had had a chance, so, until a few nights ago, I couldn't touch it. He finally started it one night, so the next day, I read while he was at work. I let him have it when he is home, but in the car and during the day, it is mine to read. I finally finished it, but can't even really discuss it with Adam, as he hasn't had the time to finish it yet. I found it to help explain a lot of the questions I have been having in regards to the "emergent"-whatever. I don't know if you call it a movement or just a viewpoint or if it is something else. I know that people who are considered emergent like to not have baggage attached and stereotypes, so maybe trying to define it is the wrong thing to do anyway. Oddly, I didn't really find anything in the book that I didn't agree with. I am not up on the liberal/conservative/postmodern/etc. Kinds of labels, so I guess I just didn't know what to think at all. I suppose since I am a Church of Christ-er and living in the South, that I assumed that I would more than likely fall into the conservative crowd. Finding that I don't has opened my eyes a bit to a different way of thinking and seeing and all.

I guess one of the main things that I felt while reading the book was a conviction to do something in a missionary field. Not necessarily overseas, but not counting that out either. I had lots of revelations about myself and they way I think while reading about how Donald talked about his life being all about him in the chapter about community. I feel like that sometimes and know that there are many good things I could be doing with my time and money and energy while here on earth that are way more important than making sure that my house is nice and big and decorated and all. Not, to say that I don't think about those things, but I don't know that those are the things that I shouldn't be focusing on so much. I guess when Adam gets finished with the book we need to talk and pray and read more on some different subjects and see where we need to be and go and what we need to do.

One other thing that resonated with me was a part of the book where Donald is talking about belief. It reads:

Andrew doesn't cloak his altruism within a trickle-down economic theory that allows him to spend fifty dollars on a round of golf to feed the economy and provide jobs for the poor. He actually believes that when Jesus says feed the poor, He means you should do this directly.

Andrew is the one who taught me that what I believe is not what I say I believe' what I believe is what I do.

I used to say that I believed it was important to tell people about Jesus, but I never did. Andrew very kindly explained that if I do not introduce people to Jesus, then I don't believe Jesus is an important person. It doesn't matter what I say.

I realized that I have done a lot of saying and not so much the doing part. And saying isn't belief, belief takes action and I have been sorely lacking in the action department. I know that many people lack in this department, and while knowing that helps me feel less alone...Knowing that there are others out there that struggle with the same things; I can't let that feeling move me into a place of feeling that I am no worse than anyone else, so why try to get better and improve. It is a fine line to walk. At church, we have been talking about moving from thinking about the here and now to thinking and doing in regards to the eternal. This fits in perfectly.

There are several other things that I will probably blog about later that I have been mulling over in my head. I guess reading this book will lead to other books about the same subjects and to lots of prayer and ultimately action on my part.

God, help us to use the words that we read and knowledge of how we could be better disciples of Jesus in a way that you will call us toward. I know that you are calling us to action and to change. Help us to hear your voice and listen and do what you ask us to do. It will lead to happiness and joy in our lives and in the lives of others. It will lead to more of your children calling you Father and that is our purpose here. Help us to remember that we aren't here to get the nicest car and house and clothing and out-do everyone else. We are here to show your love to others, to love you and worship you and to prepare for our eternal lives with you. May we have the strength and wisdom and courage and faith to go where you lead us, to do what you call us for, to be set free from the worldly things in this life. Thank you!


1 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Wow- I'm sure glad I came over! :) Great thoughts and a beautiful prayer. I look forward to reading more.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer