Thursday, December 08, 2005
It's so much better than mayonnaise!
Two years ago I made what I thought was a dumb purchase. Not that it would have been the first time or the last time...Unfortunately. I do have to recall that when Aidan was a baby, Adam and I paid way too much for a puppy that we fell in love with at the mall one time. Not only did the puppy not remain little and cute, it was a terror to us! I still think that there are only 2 people who know quite how much we really spent for this dog that we neither had the time, patience, or ability to care for. Terribly there are lots of things over the years...Maybe just yesterday at the grocery store, that I never should have spent even a penny on...But we aren't going to talk about all that right now.

Just before Christmas two years ago, I went to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's home. The consultant had a cookie press and some really cute cookies and made it all look so easy. She made a great little batter with a cake mix and a cup (might have been 2 cups) of mayonnaise. She said that you could make any kind of cookie you wanted by just buying different flavors of cake mixes and mixing with mayo. I didn't order the Pampered Chef cookie press, but stole the idea and ordered one from a catalog I had. It came with more disks and looked like a quality press.

It was. Problem was with the recipe. I went to the store and bought one of each kind of cake mix...butter, vanilla, chocolate, lemon, devil's food, and the institutional size jar of mayonnaise. I pressed the prettiest cookies you've ever seen after mixing each cake mix with the proper amount of mayonnaise. Trouble was, they were gross! (Thankfully my grandmother doesn't read this, cause I would be in so much trouble for using the word gross to describe food...it is a no-no.)

So, I put the cookie press in the bottom cabinet and didn't think about it again. I haven't used it since. I do sometimes run across it when pulling out the blender or the coffee pot or getting my cookbooks and thinking that there must be a better way to make such pretty little cookies. That such prettly little cookies don't have to taste so badly.

Internet to the rescue!

I did a search a few days ago for cookies. I want to make some of those cookie mixes in a jar for gifts and while searching for the recipes that I would like to use, ran across a recipe the mentioned a cookie press. Hmmmm, a real recipe for cookie press use. One that uses flour and sugar and vanilla, and doesn't call for mayonnaise? Could it be?

Yes!! And so, I dragged out that poor cookie press. I had Aidan help me pick some cute disks to use to make a simple sugar type cookie and we pressed away. We made 2 batches using two recipes (that we happened to have all the ingredients for) and taste tested our creations. They were good! Not only that, but they were easy to make. They are one bowl wonders...just cream the sugar and butter/shortening and then add the wet ingredients and then add the dry. Bake for 6 or 8 or 10 minutes depending on the recipe. And then you have wonderful goodness. Easy as pie...well, cookies really!

And so, last night I went to the grocery store and rounded up the ingredients for a few other recipes that I ran across. Some cheese straws and peanut butter cookies and pumpkin cookies and chocolate mint cookies! Yum! I am just so excited to try all the different ones. We made the peanut butter ones today and they were so good! Aidan loves it cause he can pick the disk and he can press them out and then decorate them.

Who knew that a great thing like a cookie press could be considered such a bad thing all because of mayonnaise?

Do you think we could blame the mayonnaise for the dog too?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer