Thursday, December 01, 2005
Think Pink
My Nana has just been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Scared, hopeful, worried...

They plan to do surgery to remove the lump and breast/s on Friday. I know that she and my Papaw as well as our family are all worried. They had talked to a doctor who recommended the removal of both breasts to prevent the cancer from showing up in the other breast, but I don't think that my Nana had decided what she would do for sure.

Breast cancer has always had a face in our family portrait. My great grandmother, whom I never met, one of my great aunts, and my grandmother, who was a survivor and is still living all have had this form of cancer show up.

It is somewhat scary for me, as my mother shows signs of mastitis and has considered having her breasts removed as a precaution. With the lumps that she has, she fears she wouldn't know if a new lump appeared. Sometimes I think all the women who are living on my grandmother's side of the family should have ourselves tested for the gene that can be a predictor of breast cancer. I know that I fear having to face that cancer in the future and I don't look forward to it.

God, please watch over Nana as she undergoes surgery on the 9th. Be with her as they remove the cancer and help the doctors to get all of it. Be with her as she faces treatment afterward to keep the cancer away and help her to find the strength to ask for help, as she isn't one to ask for anything. Be with my Papaw as she goes through this, help him to be the strong man that she will need in this time. Be with our family as we support them in this time. We love her, and I know you love her too. May she look to you to give her comfort and peace.


2 Comments:

Blogger Jacinda said...

So sorry to hear about this. (I have checked your blog for days and up to as late as this afternoon, the last post was the one about not being caught up on your Christmas shopping. Now I see that there are at least 2 posts that should have been showing up according to the dates. Wonder how that happened?)

Keep us updated on your Nana.

Blogger Alissa said...

That was my fault... I had blogged at my mom's house and then the other day and just hit the save as draft button, so they weren't actually posted until yesterday...but the dates were from when they were first written.

I will keep you updated as I hear things...thankfully we are going to get to see them at Christmas time and my aunt is coming to stay with her for several weeks.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer