Wednesday, January 18, 2006
New noise
We watch too much tv. I will freely admit it. I think it is just habit...There has to be some "noise" in the house for me and it is easier to push that little power button on the tv than to try to find a CD that I want to listen to. I suppose it wouldn't be much harder to turn on the turner and just listen to the CCM station on the radio....But I just haven't made it a habit....Yet.

I know that there are only about 2 or 3 shows on our 5 channels that we like to watch at night. Of course during the day is PBS, but we don't need to watch that all day, every day. So, last night was a night that I knew nothing came on that we wanted to see. So, I told the kids we would read a book of their choice when Daddy got home. We had about 15 minutes to wait on dinner when he arrived, so they all plopped down on the loveseat and started "the intrinicles of Narnia" or better know as The Magician's Nephew. We are loving it! I have read the series before, but Adam never has, so it is fun for him too. He even snuck the book to bed to read ahead a bit last night. Starting with this book I think will be fun for Aidan, as he has seen the movie, and will be able to "see" the links between the books. He is really loving the book and I think that this reading time at night is a good thing for all of us. We usually read a few shorter picture books before bed and prayers at night, and I think this is a good addition. I don't think it will take us very long to get through the books, as we are all enjoying them and we read almost half of the book last night.

I think after these we can read our E.B. White's: The Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little, and Charlotte's Web, but then we will just have to venture into some other books. I love reading and I hope that my children always love it too.

And anything that can keep the doors on the tv cabinet closed all night, is a definite winner. Hopefully this will become our new habit.


3 Comments:

Blogger Jacinda said...

I am loving reading chapter books to Gracie, too! We just started the Little House series and have already read some of the "Little's" books and "A Bear Called Paddington" and "Jeremy: The Tale of an Honest Bunny." We started "Mouse & the Motorcycle" but for some reason, never finished.

Blogger Jacinda said...

I kind of want to say we read "Stuart Little" too but I can't remember. See, this is why I have to write down what I read. I forget!

Blogger Alissa said...

yeah, we started several a while back, but he really wasn't in to them much. So, we went back to just reading story books instead. This go around, he is really wanting to keep reading and see what happens and all.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer