Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Challenged
Wow. I just finished Rob Bell's book, Velvet Elvis. It was quite a challenge to me. I found the beginning full of times to just stop and think about what was just read. It was a book that you want to fly through to see what else he will say...and yet, sometimes you just need to soak it all in.

I am constantly surprised that there are people out in the world, who think of Jesus and church and Christianity in the same ways that I do...who can verbalize it. I find that when I go to explain, my mind goes so much faster and in such a different direction than my mouth. It always sounds so great in my mind's ear. Sometimes it is that, that keeps me from writing here in the blog all the things that I have really been thinking...it just won't come out right.

I found the chapter when he talks about wanting to leave between the 9am and 11 am services so rich in feeling. I have been reading Shlog lately and Shaun's struggles seem to echo those of Rob's. And if that isn't the most comforting thing, to just know that my struggles and worries and doubts are not the only ones, that there are so many people out there that are the same place that I am. There are people who don't even know who I am...or me them, really. And they KNOW, they really know these thoughts that move through my mind. It is like I can look in the mirror and they aren't staring back at me, but standing beside and behind the person in the mirror, telling her that they know and they have been there and they are still standing and able to share their stories.

Anyone else kind of sad when the end of a book comes? I am, almost every time. I am just invested in the story (fiction ones especially) or am really getting a lot of things to think about in a whole new way...or sometimes, hearing my thoughts exactly, as was the case in Velvet Elvis, only Rob Bell probably put it all a lot better than I ever have. I was sad that the book wasn't longer. It has a fairly long endnotes section, so when the end came, it took me by surprise and I was a bit upset that those end notes weren't really the last chapter.

I loved the book. I found it to be full of things to study and think about, and that is the best part. He asks you to do that with his book, to analyze and question and seek the truth. And I will. I am. While doing that, I have also started Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. I was looking on our book shelf the other day and realized that we have not one but 2 copies of this book. I am only surprised that I haven't read it yet, as I see it recommended all the time on people's lists of books that just must be read. I am already enjoying it.

I guess when it is over, I will have to go to a book list to find some more. I think Matt Elliott just posted about his book list, so that may be a place to start.

Happy reading!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer