Saturday, September 17, 2005
Let Them Eat Cake

Aidan’s 5th birthday was a blast! We had a wonderful time celebrating this day with his friends and family. He has been so excited about turning 5. It is a magical age to him for some reason. He thinks that he is faster and stronger and so much wiser now that he is 5, and it has been great to see him so excited about it.

I thought that I would totally bawl like a baby when he turned 5. It just seems like so much of a “big boy” age to me. It is definitely not a baby age and not a toddler age either. It is now a big boy age and I really thought I would be handling so much worse than I am. I think his great excitement about it has held me in check. It is so hard to be sad about “loosing” my first little baby to boyhood when he is so happy to be there.

I was most worried about Aidan’s cake. Since his first birthday the cake has been my arch nemesis for every birthday in this house. I just fuss and worry over it. His first birthday we had decided to have a party and invite almost everyone that we knew! It was so fun…and such a busy time. I debated going to the local bakery to have a cake made, but I just decided that I could probably do a cake that I would like just as much myself and it would be special that I had made it. I was very ambitious and decided to make an alligator cake. I found the pattern and made it and it turned out to be really cute…even if my whole kitchen was green for days afterward.

So, this year, Aidan wanted an Incredible party…not just a great, magnificent one, but Incredible…as in Disney/Pixar Incredibles. He told me exactly what he wanted his cake to look like, and I decided to try fondant for the first time. It turned out just like he wanted it…at least that is what he told me. It made my day to see some other kids ogling his cake like it was the neatest cake they had ever seen. While the cake isn’t so important really, it is important to me that I take the time to make this sweet treat that is the center of the birthday table. I will always have pictures to show him of the creations that I made for him and hopefully he will enjoy knowing that each birthday I took the time to make his birthday extra special for him! I love him…my little superhero, my sweet first baby, my beautiful son, Aidan Joel.


2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Aidan!

Blogger Jacinda said...

It was a beautiful cake!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer